By Alicia Chudo
Written within the culture of 1066 and All That, The Pooh Perplex, and The Classics Redefined, And Quiet Flows the Vodka will, optimistically, be the last word at the ghastly first millennia of Russian literature, background, and culture.
Read or Download And Quiet Flows the Vodka: or When Pushkin Comes to Shove: The Curmudgeon's Guide to Russian Literature with the Devil's Dictionary of Received Ideas PDF
Similar political books
- Žižek and politics : a critical introduction
- The Cement of Society: A Study of Social Order (Studies in Rationality and Social Change)
- Rehearsing the State: The Political Practices of the Tibetan Government-in-Exile
- Game Equilibrium Models IV: Social and Political Interaction
- Habermas and Rawls: Disputing the Political
Additional info for And Quiet Flows the Vodka: or When Pushkin Comes to Shove: The Curmudgeon's Guide to Russian Literature with the Devil's Dictionary of Received Ideas
1: 115–29. 9. ” in New Essays in Slavic Feminist Criticism, ed. (the former) Tony Caldwell-Jones (Bristol: University of Bristol Press, 1993), 37–49. 10. See Kevin Stretch, “Why Columbus Went Around in Circles and Why Tycho Brahe Had a Silver Nose: A Postmodern Reading of Astronomers and Explorers in Russian Literature,” in New Approaches to Russian Literature, ed. Maxim Kepler-Hudson (Durham, N. : Duke University Press, 1995), 112–21. 11. On premature cof¤ns in Russian literature, see Alexandra Grob, “Grave Graves and Dying to Die: Premature Cof¤ns in Gogol´, Cexov, Dostoevskij, and Stalin,” Slavic and East European Journal 29, no.
The Soviets also tore up many old tsarist roads so that invaders would have nothing to travel on. After proceeding four thousand miles from the frontier and reaching the last Russian border N 1. What are the chances of that? 2. An imperial ukase issued during World War I decreed that any town name ending in -burg, -ville, -ton, or any other foreign suf¤x would be renamed by replacing the offending suf¤x with -grad. Thus Petersburg became Petrograd and the American capital became Washingrad. 33 34 And Quiet Flows the Vodka, or When Pushkin Comes to Shove guards, a foreign army would ¤nd itself stuck in Russia and forced to stay there.
10. Igor was riding bareback. 23 24 And Quiet Flows the Vodka, or When Pushkin Comes to Shove But the Polovtsian troops arrive suddenly, and as the crows croak and the lutes hoot and the jackdaws jack, the Russians are defeated and Igor is taken captive. The poet then teaches his lesson: Oh, Russian princes! You have ceased to ¤ght the pagans! Instead, you ¤ght each other, Saying of a small thing, This is big, And of a big thing, This is small, And of a ruble, This is worth something! Disorder reigns supreme, The pagans retrieve their treasure While the Russian princes sleep it off.
And Quiet Flows the Vodka: or When Pushkin Comes to Shove: The Curmudgeon's Guide to Russian Literature with the Devil's Dictionary of Received Ideas by Alicia Chudo