By Debra C. Sellon DVM PhD DACVIM, Maureen Long DVM PhD DACVIM
Ideal for either practitioners and scholars, Equine Infectious ailments, 2d Edition covers the prognosis, therapy, and prevention of infectious illness in horses. equipped through infectious agent ― viral, bacterial and rickettsial, protozoal, and fungal ― it comprises whole assurance of the person ailments because of each one kind of agent. a piece on medical difficulties deals powerful remedy for stipulations reminiscent of ocular infections, CNS infections, and epidermis infections. fighting and controlling infectious affliction outbreaks is addressed with details on epidemiology, biosecurity, antimicrobial treatment, and spotting international equine diseases.
- Public healthiness issues awarded in approximately each chapter
- Appendix of infectious ailment rule-outs for scientific difficulties shows which signs may perhaps point out particular infectious illnesses with cross-references to the chapters during which they're discussed.
- Antimicrobial drug formulary appendix provides info on adjusting dosages at the foundation of medical and toxicologic data.
- Appendix for vaccination instructions for horses in North the US helps horse investors comprehend the mandatory steps to prevent hefty fines or even license suspensions for non-compliance.
- The most recent immunization techniques for horses in North the USA, organized by means of foals/weanlings, yearlings, functionality horses, excitement horses, and broodmares.
- Easy entry to references on PubMed links you to the unique abstracts, with content material updates to maintain you conscious of new infectious illnesses and their effect on humans and animals, in addition to lovely downloadable images.
- Full-color photographs and illustrations provide transparent, actual representations of scientific appearances of infectious diseases.
speak about zoonotic disorder power and precautions, in addition to different public overall healthiness concerns.
- NEW! the main up to date insurance of equine piroplasmosis
- NEW! content material on EHV-1 keeps you present at the prognosis and therapy of this in all probability severe illness in horses.
- NEW! info on how worldwide weather alterations are growing extra illnesses in horses keeps you alert to the probabilities of latest and rising ailments worldwide.
- NEW! multiplied assurance of biosecurity on farms and in veterinary practices is helping you strengthen a good biosecurity application and emphasizes the way to isolate or dispose of the resource of infectious agents.
- NEW! extra medical algorithms offer designated prevention thoughts as well as diagnostic and healing guidelines.
- NEW! New appendix of product and diagnostic attempt package brands at the better half web site, gives you entry to the most up-tp-date items and advances to be had in equine medicine.
reflects what specialists have discovered as extra outbreaks of this tick-borne sickness have happened within the US.
Read or Download Equine infectious diseases PDF
Similar veterinary medicine books
Joanna Swabe's well timed paintings seems to be at human-animal family from antiquity to BSE and cloning, contending that veterinary wisdom and perform has performed an important position in human background.
Biofilms are implicated in lots of universal scientific difficulties together with urinary tract infections, catheter infections, middle-ear infections, dental plaque, gingivitis, and a few much less universal yet extra deadly techniques similar to endocarditis and infections in cystic fibrosis. although, the real significance of biofilms within the total strategy of ailment pathogenesis has only in the near past been famous.
This e-book developed from a sequence of lectures and laboratories given by means of Dr. Kenneth McEntee to scholars at Cornell college, the collage of Illinois, and Tufts collage and is predicated on tissues from over 20,000 situations of reproductive disorder within the overseas Registry of Reproductive Pathology, based by way of Dr.
No different name deals such commitment to the intensity, adventure, and concentration of endocrinology as dogs and tom cat Endocrinology, 4th variation. finished assurance contains nearly each universal and unusual in endocrinology, plus the main up-to-date info on nutrients, geriatric care, pathophysiology, checking out systems, and affordable and expedient diagnostic protocols.
- Pathologic Basis of Veterinary Disease
- Diseases of The Goat
- Multimodal Management of Canine Osteoarthritis, Second Edition
- Digestive disease in the dog and cat
- Practical Guide to Equine Colic
Extra resources for Equine infectious diseases
He is currently giving his dog one antibiotic tablet twice a day to treat a skin infection. The client is planning to go on vacation and is wondering if his dog sitter could give four antibiotic tablets once every two days instead of one antibiotic tablet four times over two days. Because the total dose over the two days would be the same, the client thinks that this would save the dog sitter some time and trouble. Copyright 2011 Cengage Learning. All Rights Reserved. May not be copied, scanned, or duplicated, in whole or in part.
Editorial review has deemed that any suppressed content does not materially affect the overall learning experience. Cengage Learning reserves the right to remove additional content at any time if subsequent rights restrictions require it. indd 30 25/01/10 11:05 PM 31 Principles and Methods of Drug Administration The Right Drug The right drug means that the patient receives the drug that was prescribed. The label on the container should be read three times: when taking the container from its location, when removing the medication from the container, and when returning the container to its storage place.
Key Terms carcinogenicity chronic studies clinical trials effective dose-50 (ED50) lethal dose-50 (LD50) long-term tests long-term toxicity test margin of safety parameter preclinical studies preliminary studies shelf life short-term tests short-term toxicity test special tests systems-oriented screen teratogenicity therapeutic index toxicity evaluation A horse is diagnosed with a type of cancer that requires long-term treatment. The owner of this horse knows that drugs used to treat cancer have many side effects and may even be lethal.
Equine infectious diseases by Debra C. Sellon DVM PhD DACVIM, Maureen Long DVM PhD DACVIM