By Professor Steve Walton
This booklet deals a transparent, considerate portrait of early Christian understandings of management by means of learning Paul's speech at Miletus (Acts 20.18b-35). Dr. Walton compares the image chanced on there with Luke's presentation of Jesus' version of management and Paul's self-portrait in 1 Thessalonians. it is going to support students in contemplating Luke's portrait of Paul in Acts through delivering precious standards for deciding upon parallel rules, in addition to by way of exhibiting that Luke and Paul are very shut of their knowing of ways Christian leaders are to steer.
Read Online or Download Leadership and Lifestyle: The Portrait of Paul in the Miletus Speech and 1 Thessalonians (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series) PDF
Similar old testament books
J. I. Packer explodes universal misconceptions concerning the Ten Commandments and offers readers God's blueprint for relational, religious, and societal healthiness. they can be mistakenly thought of God's "rules"-his superseded record of do's and don'ts that upload as much as a guilt-ridden, legalistic lifestyle.
This learn is an research into the lexical meanings of Hebrew phrases for the human lifestyles cycle within the outdated testomony. The research differs from earlier experiences in that the phrases are studied from the point of view of a particular semantic area (age) and never in isolation from one another. additionally, different sleek linguistic ways are utilized, together with syntagmatic and paradigmatic research.
Booklet through Glatzer, Nahum N.
Are We no longer males? deals an leading edge method of gender and embodiment within the Hebrew Bible, revealing the male physique as a resource of continual hassle for the Hebrew prophets. Drawing jointly key moments in prophetic embodiment, Graybill demonstrates that the prophetic physique is a queer physique, and its very instability makes attainable new understandings of biblical masculinity.
- Israel's poetry of resistance : Africana perspectives on early Hebrew verse
- Daniel: The Triumph of God's Kingdom (Preaching the Word) (Preaching the Word)
- Gog of Magog: Reuse of Scripture and Compositional Technique in Ezekiel 38-39
- The T & T Clark companion to the Septuagint
- Forms of the Old Testament Literature: 1 Samuel (Forms of the Old Testament Literature)
- The Earliest Christian Hymnbook: The Odes of Solomon
Extra resources for Leadership and Lifestyle: The Portrait of Paul in the Miletus Speech and 1 Thessalonians (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series)
104 Hemer offers a more extensive study, 98 Tholuck, `Reden', p. ) See also Foakes Jackson and Lake, Beginnings, vol. IV, p. 259. 99 Gardner, `Speeches of Paul', pp. 28). 100 101 Dodd, Apostolic Preaching, pp. 32f. Rackham, Acts, p. 384. 102 Bruce, Book of Acts (revised edn), pp. 387±95; Acts (3rd edn), pp. 429±37. Others include: Marshall, Acts (TNTC), p. 330; Longenecker, `Acts', p. 511; Williams, Acts (GNC), p. 347; Neil, Acts, p. 213. g. Haenchen, Acts, p. 590. 104 `He [sc. Haenchen] seems, moreover, to assume that if Dibelius has argued for a case, the case is thereby established' (Bruce, `Acts Today', p.
41), and both close with the departure of the chief actor via suffering to deliverance (Acts 12; 20±6). 8 (cf. 17 (Ephesus) lukanische Geschichtsschreibung; Flender, St Luke, pp. 8±35; Thiering, `Acts as Art'; Stolle, Der Zeuge als Angeklagter; Mattill, `Jesus-Paul Parallels'; Radl, Paulus und Jesus; Petersen, Literary Criticism, pp. 83±6; Trompf, Idea of Historical Recurrence, pp. 116±78; Muhlack, Die Parallelen; O'Toole, `Parallels'; Moessner, `The Christ Must Suffer'; Green, `Internal Repetition in Luke-Acts'; Clark, `Parallel Lives'.
208. Witherington, Acts, pp. 610±27. Witherington, Acts, pp. 613f. Witherington, Acts, pp. 613, 618±20. Witherington, Acts, p. 610. Dupont, Discours de Milet, p. 30 (my translation). Why study the Miletus speech? 33 While this has been attempted before by point-by-point comparisons with the Pauline corpus as a whole (however many authentic letters that is thought to contain), no previous attempt has been made to compare the speech as a whole with a single Pauline letter as a whole. 199 What follows is an outline of the structure of this book, so that readers are aware of the key lines of argument.
Leadership and Lifestyle: The Portrait of Paul in the Miletus Speech and 1 Thessalonians (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series) by Professor Steve Walton